Wednesday 28 July 2010

Big Bum Fashion Fan: Amy Lamé

Who are you?

I am Amy Lamé, and a huge fan of the Big Bum Jumble gang. I'm originally from New Jersey, hence my penchant for big hair, high heels and fast cars. I've been a Londoner for nearly 18 years.

Amongst other things I co-founded and host Duckie every Saturday night at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern. I also co-host the afternoon show on BBC London 94.9 alongside fellow tubbster Danny Baker. I pop up occasionally on TV and write for various newspapers, but generally I prefer to spend my time listening to The Smiths and crocheting. Oh, and drinking sherry with my girlfriend.

What sort of things do you like to wear?

I'm a girly girl, so I wear mostly dresses and skirts, though if I do occasionally wear jeans on a Saturday afternoon they have to have wide turn ups.

I have an eclectic collection of clothes that cross boundaries of stage and street wear, from 18th century inspired handmade gowns, to 70s American polyester house dresses, to punky cashmere from Anna Scholz. I am most influenced by the '50s and '60s, and in the past made quite a few of my own retro style dresses - as we all know plus size vintage is rarer than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Now I have an adorable seamstress who makes lovely creations for me.

I am addicted to accessories and drive my girlfriend crazy with bracelets/earrings/hairbands/fascinators etc scattered all over our flat (but I think she secretly loves it 'cause she keeps buying me lots of gorgeous accoutrements!) I have lots of vintage specs with my own prescription put in to match different outfits. I think coordination is a much underrated style statement, and I like to think of myself as never knowingly underdressed.

Whose style do you admire?

My Nan, Ruth, has been my style inspiration since I was a teenager; I was always plundering her jewellery box and wardrobe for scarves, beads, hats, handbags... She's 92 and still the most stylish woman I know, she has an amazing collection of flat caps, fedoras and clip-on earrings.

Give us some fat fashion advice!

If you've got it, flaunt it! Stick a belt/bow/brooch on your chub rolls and claim it! Revel in your rotundity, and delight in being a chubby glamourpuss.

What would be your dream find at the Big Bum Jumble?

All the stuff my Nan has ever sent to the charity shop before I could get to it!! Other than that, a selection of glittery heels in size 8 wide would be brilliant.

What else would you like to say?

Rock on Big Bum Jumble! And in the words of fellow fattie homosexualist Luther Vandross (RIP)...NEVER TOO MUCH!!!

PS Check out AmyLamé.com

Wanna make like Amy and be featured here as a Big Bum Fashion Fan? Yes you do! Drop us a line at bigbumjumble@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment