Friday 30 July 2010

Big Bum Fashion Fan: Deb Malkin

Who are you?

I am Deb Malkin, owner of Re/Dress NYC, a vintage and modern and resale clothing store for sizes 14 and up in Brooklyn, New York. I am also one of the founders of the Fat Girl Flea Market (Big Bum Note: this is the event that inspired the Big Bum Jumble).

What sort of things do you like to wear?

I call my style Utility-femme meets boobilicious. Which means I like clothing that's comfortable and yet form fitting, and shows off the 'girls'. Lately, I've been enjoying a bit of a femmed-up version of my 90s dyke style with my engineer boots and military jacket, but with skirts and dresses underneath instead of the old A-shirt and acid washed jeans, ew!

Whose style do you admire?

My staff, my customers, my friends, and Beth Ditto. I got inspired to wear my very first corset top at Nolose and I had a hoodie zipped so tight up you'd never know it was there. Then I saw a trio of super fat fairies with wings and wands and they were so free and comfortable with themselves that I unzipped that hoodie and never looked back.

Give us some fat fashion advice!

Stop wearing things too big. That's my biggest pet peeve. You're fat. Wearing clothing to hide your fat, isn't the same thing as an invisibility cloak. Experiment with shape, colour, style and find your fashion voice. And if need be, take things to a tailor and get them fitted to your shape, it will make you look like a person who's comfortable in their own skin, and that confidence is more flattering than anything.

What would be your dream find at the Big Bum Jumble?

It would just be my dream to go. Then it would be my dream to get to shop at an event like this, since I'm usually working it. Since my Chubster name is Rainbow Rotten, I would be thrilled to find something glittery and rainbowy.

What else would you like to say?

I'm so excited to see more cities and countries create their own versions of the Fat Girl Flea Market. It's an incredible way to shop. It's empowering, it creates community, it's green shopping, and it's really fun. And also a ton of work. So please folks don't forget to volunteer, give Kay a helping hand, and thank you to everyone who's been working so hard. I hope to see you at the 2012 Fattylympics.

Deb! We love you! Thank you for your visionary work! xxxxxx

Would you like to be featured here as a Big Bum Jumble fan? Drop us a line: bigbumjumble@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment